Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group, or branch off with additional questions as discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- Joel highlighted what the Lord is doing through LifeWise Academy. Have you prayed about getting involved? What has that looked like for you so far, or how could you step up to make an eternal difference in the lives of children who don’t know Jesus through Lifewise? Discuss with your group and encourage one another to start taking steps to get plugged in and help!
- Read Genesis 14:18–24 and review the interactions between Abraham and Melchizedek. Have you heard this story before, or was it new to you? What are your initial thoughts as you review this passage of scripture? How does it impact your faith and walk with the Lord?
- Read Hebrews 7. What are the comparisons/similarities given between Jesus and Melchizedek? What are all the ways that they differ from the Levitical priests?
- Review Hebrews 7:24–28. Joel discussed how Jesus is trustworthy, and in Him, we have an advocate. What does it mean to be an advocate for someone? Who do you, or can you, advocate for in your life? How is Jesus our advocate, and how does He intercede before God on behalf of His followers?
- Melchizedek provides a picture/prophecy of Jesus to come. He shows how the inevitable failure of the Levitical priesthood would require a better and more complete covenant in the person and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Read Acts 4:11–12, John 14:6, and 1 Timothy 2:5. What do these verses say about the fulfillment of the covenant?
- Read Matthew 27:51. The moment Jesus died, the veil in the temple was torn in two. This highly symbolic action showed that the Levitical priests were no longer the mediators… they were no longer needed. Jesus had paid our debt once and for all and is now the only priest necessary. Have you ever thought about how amazing it is that Jesus is our direct mediator to God and our intercessor? How can this knowledge help you explain the truth to someone who believes that they need anything else or anyone else in addition to Jesus to reconcile their sins?
- Where are you reading in the Bible this week? What has God been revealing to you through your quiet time with Him?
- Discuss any struggles you may be going through with your group.
- How can you pray for your group this week? How can they be praying for you?
Questions about following Jesus?
Want to know how simple it is to have a relationship with Jesus? Interested in talking with someone about Jesus? Let us know below.