Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group, or branch off with additional questions as discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- David said in the beginning of Psalm 63, “O God, you are my God.” Do you believe that God is YOUR God? Or do you see Him as someone who is too big, too busy, and too concerned with other things to have a personal interest in your life? What does Psalm 139:1–16 have to say about these things?
- Pastor Austin said, “That which you and I long for, thirst for, and seek after reveals who and what our God is.” What is it that you long for most? What do you start your day seeking after? How can we make sure our desires and thoughts are aligned with the Lord’s?
- Have you ever tried to satisfy your legitimate needs illegitimately? No need to be specific, but if so, how did that turn out for you in the end? What is the answer when we truly feel that even our good, godly desires are not being met? Reference Matthew 6:33.
- Describe a “wilderness” experience in your life. How have you approached this time in the wilderness, and how did you see God work even through the darkness?
5. Read Luke 6:45 and think about the apple story from Pastor Austin’s college professor. When you are hard-pressed in the circumstances of life, it’s what is in you that will come out. What pours out of your heart when you are hard-pressed? Is it different than what you want to pour out, and if so, how?
- Read John 7:37. Sometimes, instead of going to God to fulfill our needs, we turn to worldly comforts or the strength of our flesh. Why do you think that is? What things in your life can you identify as those you’re tempted to turn to instead of Jesus? How might your level of fulfillment differ if you turned to Jesus first?
- Where are you reading in the Bible this week? What has God been revealing to you through your quiet time with Him?
- Discuss any struggles you may be going through with your group.
- How can you pray for your group this week? How can they be praying for you?
Questions about following Jesus?
Want to know how simple it is to have a relationship with Jesus? Interested in talking with someone about Jesus? Let us know below.