In This Series
The Crisis in the Family (4)
Sunday, May 21, 2023
Teach your child to “Honor”
God gave us the commandment: Honor your father and mother. It doesn’t come naturally to kids, so it’s up to parents to show them what it looks like to honor… God’s way.Notes
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group, or branch off with additional questions as discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- In the Ten Commandments from Exodus 20, the first four focus on our relationship with God, whereas commandments five through ten are about relationships with others. The first one regarding our relationship with others is about honoring our parents. Why do you think God emphasizes this principle, and why is this such a critical issue in our lives?
- Children have to be taught to honor. If you’re a parent, how have you taught this principle to your children? How are they doing in regards to obeying you? Where do you need to change your parenting to encourage them to honor you?
- Read Luke 2:51. We learned that attitude determines action. Have you had times when your heart was not aligned with God, and it caused you to act in a less-than-desirable way toward your family? What did this teach you about yourself? How can you practice having an attitude aligned with God?
- Disobedience should bring discipline. Read Proverbs 13:24. How have you—or your parents—utilized discipline to instill obedience into your life?
- Were any of you not disciplined for certain actions or disobedience where discipline would have been appropriate? What was the result of this for you or your siblings?
- Pastor read a statistic that showed how more elderly people live alone in the United States than anywhere else in the world. Pastor discussed practical ways we can treasure our parents by calling them, visiting them, and involving them in our lives. If you’re at this stage of life or close to it, how have you or how can you show care and concern for your loved ones?
- Where are you reading in the Bible this week? What has God been revealing to you through your quiet time with Him?
- Discuss any struggles you may be going through with your group.
- How can you pray for your group this week? How can they be praying for you?
Questions about following Jesus?
Want to know how simple it is to have a relationship with Jesus? Interested in talking with someone about Jesus? Let us know below.