In This Series
GOD – “Who He is… and why it matters” (5)
Sunday, August 14, 2022
The Mercy of God
Not getting what we deserve… in the simplest of terms, this is the definition of mercy.
But “The Mercy of God” is anything but simple. It’s vast… incomprehensible… and God wants us to understand it so we can begin to change the way we see Him and interact with others.Fill-in Notes
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group, or branch off with additional questions as discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- Was there anything specific that you learned from this week’s message which spoke to and challenged you to live more like Christ? Please share with your group.
- Please read Romans 3:23 and Romans 6:23. To understand God’s mercy, why is it important to understand that we deserve God’s wrath?
- Many of us think that the Old Testament is full of stories of God demonstrating His wrath on those who were disobedient. Were you aware that the word “mercy” appears four times more often in the Old Testament? How does that foreshadow the mercy demonstrated in the New Testament through Jesus?
- Mercy is compassion in action. Pastor provided three reasons why God wants us to show mercy to others. Review those together with your group. Many people question God’s mercy because of the trials they experience and the tough circumstances they face. How have others shown you mercy? How did that help you understand God’s mercy? How have you shown mercy to others? Is God calling you to demonstrate mercy there to others in your life?
- Read Luke 10: 25–37. Pastor mentioned three types of people in the world. Some “beat up, pass up, and pick up others.” Has there ever been a time when you fell into one of the undesirable categories and asked God for mercy? Discuss the situation and its impact on your life or others. What have you done (or what could you do) to move towards “picking up” others as your default response? What impact has this had (or could it have) on yourself and those in your life?
- Share with the group how God is moving in your life or what you may need to confess.
- Where are you reading in the Bible this week, and what is God revealing to you?
- Discuss any struggles you may be going through with your group.
- How can you be praying for your group this week? How can they be praying for you?
Questions about following Jesus?
Want to know how simple it is to have a relationship with Jesus? Interested in talking with someone about Jesus? Let us know below.