In This Series
- Developing a God-Given Burden for the Lost
- Preparing Today for the Judgement Seat
- Do this in remembrance of Me
- When God Says “No”
- Each One… Reach One
- God With Us
- Finding Freedom
- Building a Legacy
- God Wants to Use YOU, Part 2
- God Wants to Use YOU
- One Woman’s Memorial
- A Tragic Ending
- An Indispensable Ingredient
- “They” Crucified Him
- Am I Willing?
- Another Touch
- Seven Days a Week
- Be Aware... and Prepared
- Do This in Remembrance of ME
- Boasting Permitted
- Living Intentionally
- The War of Wants
- A Goal for 2022
- Why the Virgin Birth Matters
- Take the Opportunity
- How Does God Forgive Sin?
- America…Have We Forgotten?
- What Defines a Great Church?
- The Three Chairs
- Welcoming Tom Thompson of The Refuge
- Welcoming Pilira Chibwana
Stand-Alone Sermons (31)
Sunday, January 02, 2022
The War of Wants
Joel Penton walked us through Galatians 5 and the battle we face daily—the war between our flesh and the spirit. In his letter, Paul provides some specific examples of each side and challenges believers to walk in the spirit.Fill-in Notes
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- What’s your biggest want in life right now? How often do you self-evaluate your own wants and desires?
- Review the contrasts between the “flesh” wants in Galatians 5:16–21 and the “fresh” wants in Galatians 5:22–23. When examining your works of the flesh vs. the fruit of the spirit in you, which “list” best describes you?
- What active steps can you take to put the “flesh” wants to death? Alternatively, how can you grow in the “fresh” wants?
- Galatians 5:24–26 and Romans 8:12–13. What is God calling us to in these verses?
- Read Galatians 2:16 and 2 Corinthians 5:21. How are we justified by our sins? How do these truths impact our mindset as we consider standing before the Lord someday?
- It’s important and helpful to remember God’s goodness. Reflect on 2021 and share your biggest praise from the year.
- How can you be intentional with your spiritual growth in 2022? What habits do you want to build? How can your life group support you?
- Where are you reading in the Word this week and what are you learning?
- How can your group be praying for you?
Questions about following Jesus?
Want to know how simple it is to have a relationship with Jesus? Interested in talking with someone about Jesus? Let us know below.