Sunday, April 11, 2021
THE, Part 1
We may love to have options for everything from food to housing, but Jesus’ words in John 14 leave no room for that. With one little word, He removes every other option. Three letters… a world of difference… THE. With one word He tells us there is no alternate plan, no room for interpretation, no other way, period. When it comes to eternity, there’s no way around Jesus’ words: “I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”Fill-in Notes
Take Away / Application
When it comes to eternity, there is no alternate plan, no room for interpretation, no other way, period… it’s only Jesus.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- Read John 14:6. What does Jesus’ statement say to those who think there are multiple ways to get to heaven and have a relationship with God?
- Read Ephesians 2:8–9. In what ways do people try to *“earn”* their way to God or heaven? If trying to do “good works” or “earn your way to heaven” were part of your past, share.
- Why can we never be “good enough” to get to heaven? Discuss and then look up: Psalm 14:1–3, Romans 3:10–18, Romans 3:23, Ecclesiastes 7:20, 1 John 1:8–10.
- Jesus did what no other has done. To understand why Jesus is the only way read:
- Leviticus 17:11, Hebrews 9:22. (sin requires a blood sacrifice)
- John 3:16–17, Ephesians 1:7, 1 Peter 2:24, Romans 5:8, 2 Corinthians 5:2, Isaiah 53:5, 1 John 2:1. (God sent His son, Jesus, to make the perfect sinless payment for our sins we could not make)
- Hebrews 10:11–14, 1 Peter 3:18. (Jesus is the perfect once and for all sacrifice)
- Read John 14:6 again. Based on who we are (your discussion from Question 3) and who Jesus is (your discussion from Question 4), would you be able to share with someone why Jesus is the only way to heaven? Discuss.
- A loving God sends no one to hell. A loving God sent His only begotten Son so that no one has to go to hell. Discuss.
- What have you learned from your personal time in the Bible this week? How is it impacting your daily life?
- How is your prayer life? Are you spending quality time in prayer with the Lord?
Questions about following Jesus?
Want to know how simple it is to have a relationship with Jesus? Interested in talking with someone about Jesus? Let us know below.