In This Series
- Who is Jesus?
- Who is Jesus? Part 2
- Witness #1: John the Baptist
- Different Approaches… Same Results
- The First Miracle
- The Cleansing of the Temple
- The New Birth
- He Must Increase… What About You?
- Life’s Crucial Issue
- “Learning from the Master” Part 1
- “Learning from the Master” Part 2
- “Learning from the Master” Part 3
- A Portrait of Genuine Faith
- A Miracle Performed… A Murder Planned
The Book of John (14)
Sunday, November 17, 2019
The New Birth
Take Away / Application
“Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” —John 3:3
“Whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.” —John 3:15–17
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as the discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
Keep your Bible open to John 3:1–21 throughout group discussion.
- What impacted you the most from today’s message?
- Who were the Pharisees? How were they viewed by Jesus? See Matthew 23:1–36.
- Christians often and rightly say, it’s about a relationship with Jesus, not a religion. What is meant by that statement?
- Read Ephesians 2:8–9. Works or a work based religion can never lead to being born again or salvation. What kinds of things do people wrongly trust in, for salvation?
- Nicodemus is seeking a human solution to a spiritual problem. Have you ever tried to use a human solution for a spiritual problem? How did that work out for you?
- Read John 3:3. Just as real as our physical birth, so is one’s spiritual birth. Pastor Harrell shared wise words with us, that we should not let ourselves get too far away from the day we got saved. Briefly share about the moment you were born again.
- Read John 3:15–17. In your own words, how would you summarize the gospel message? Who do you know that you need to share this message with?
How are you growing as a Christian? Are you continuing to discover and develop who you are in Christ?