In This Series
GOD – “Who He is… and why it matters” (5)
Sunday, August 07, 2022
The Holiness of God
God is love… God is merciful… God is just and so much more. But in the Bible, there is only one attribute of God that He wanted to be emphasized above the rest. Because it’s His holiness that is at the very center of who He is. It’s out of His holiness that everything else flows. And it’s only when we begin to grasp “The Holiness of God”, that we can see ourselves as we really are.Fill-in Notes
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group, or branch off with additional questions as discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- Pastor posed the question: “When was the last time you stood in awe of God?” Why is it as infrequent as it is for us? Please share with your group.
- Read Isaiah 6:1. This passage refers to a beloved King passing away. Has the passing of a key public figure ever had a major impact in your life? What about the passing of a close loved one? What about terrorist attacks or mass shootings? How does God’s sovereignty over all creation give us confidence, even in uncertain economic, societal, and political times (like when King Uzziah died)?
- What is the significance of the fact that the seraphim are sinless, yet they still covered their faces before Jesus? How does this help us understand how we approach the Lord as we come before Him?
- What’s the significance of the seraphim describing the Lord as holy and repeating it three times? Why is the holiness of God one of the most important attributes for us to grasp?
- We learned about 5 troubling passages where God’s wrath came upon those who didn’t revere Him and His holiness which was fleshed out through disobedience. Many of us don’t want to think about these characteristics of God. Why is it important to understand and accept ALL of God’s attributes?
- Read Romans 9:15. Do you ever find yourself believing that God owes you mercy or that God exists to serve you? How can we alter our thinking to align with the reality of who God really is and who we are in relation to Him?
- Read Isaiah 6:11–13. Israel and Judah have been like a mighty oak, but eventually, they will fall, and only a stump will remain. The stump will be the “holy seed” that the tree will grow from again. All is not lost, but the near future won’t be pleasant. Has there ever been a season in your life where you’ve known the immediate future would be trying? How did you react? What did you do to prepare yourself? How did this season impact your faith?
- Where are you reading in the Bible this week, and what is God revealing to you?
- Discuss any struggles you may be going through with your group.
- How can you be praying for your group this week? How can they be praying for you?
Questions about following Jesus?
Want to know how simple it is to have a relationship with Jesus? Interested in talking with someone about Jesus? Let us know below.