In This Series
- The Helper & The Harlot, Part 2: Rahab, The Harlot
- The Helper & The Harlot, Part 1: Joshua, The Helper
The Helper & The Harlot (2)
Sunday, March 21, 2021
The Helper & The Harlot, Part 1: Joshua, The Helper
Long before the Battle of Jericho, God promised Abraham that His people, the Israelites, would one day experience the promised land. And now, after enduring centuries of slavery in Egypt and then wandering with Moses in the desert for almost 40 years, the Israelites finally stood at the edge of the promised land, Canaan. But before they could enter, there was one more giant roadblock… and God chose to use two very different characters with two very different stories to accomplish His plan.
Joshua… the man who had spent most of his adult life being Moses’ helper was now the one in charge. The eyes of a nation were on him. Following in Moses’ footsteps was no small deal, but Joshua would see for himself that the same powerful God who had been with Moses was now with him every step of the way.
Take Away / Application
God wants to use you to achieve His purposes.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- Read Joshua 1:1. “the Lord spoke”. Danny mentioned that we have the Word of God spoken to us through the Bible. What does it look like to live a life turning to the Word of God?
- Joshua was taking over as the leader of Israel. This was a heavy burden. What’s heavy on your heart today? What pressures are you facing today? Read Joshua 1:5–6, 9. What does it look like to live in the reality and truth of Joshua 1:5–6, 9?
- Read Joshua 1:7–8. “God will do His part, but He expects us to do our part.” What does God expect of us? How are you doing at following and not deviating from the Word of God? Is there anything God is expecting you to do yet you’ve been reluctant to obey?
- Do you need to be reminded that Jesus is for you?! Are you living a life confident in your Savior?
- “Is you calling you to something bigger than yourself?” Do you have confidence that God wants to use you (however great or small) for His kingdom? What can you do this week to show Jesus to someone?
- What have you learned from your time in the Bible this week? How is it impacting your daily life?
- How is your prayer life? Are you spending quality time in prayer with the Lord?
Memorize Joshua 1:9
Questions about following Jesus?
Want to know how simple it is to have a relationship with Jesus? Interested in talking with someone about Jesus? Let us know below.