Sunday, January 07, 2018
Tap Out, Part 1
Take Away / Application
We’re to deny ourselves and take up our cross daily. We’re to tap out and surrender to Jesus and His ways.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have students figure things out together.
- Share some of your biggest resolution successes and failures over the years. Are your goals for 2018 different than 2017? Share.
- How does this “ME focused” mentality flesh itself out in your own life? In other words, what must you deny in order to fully commit to Jesus? Some examples given by Pastor Cory included our own kids, sleep, food or items found in Colossians 3 like lust, sexual impurity, greed, anger, slander, etc.
- Read Luke 9:18–23. This principle of battling between my own will vs. the Lord’s will is something we’ll constantly wrestle with, hence why we’re called to take up our cross DAILY. What ways can we take up our cross and what practical steps can we take to follow Him?
- We often fail to see the areas in our life that need work. However, sometimes those closest to us have greater insight into what needs to change in us. In what areas of your life would your kids, spouse or friends say you need to look more like Jesus?
- Read Galatians 5:15–25. Paul addresses the battle between our flesh and Spirit. What does it mean to walk in the Spirit?
- In what ways do you wrestle with trying to get Jesus to conform to you rather than you to Him? How can your group help keep you accountable to tapping out to Jesus?