In This Series
- Our Common Ministry
- Utmost Importance
- What Do You Do?
- Perhaps Today!
- Derailing Your Purpose in Life
- Practical Atheism
- A Fresh Stirring
- Spiritual Adultery!
- Misdirected Passion
- What Do You Want The Most?
- It’s So Very Dangerous
- Clearing Up the Confusion
- A Word of Caution
- Superficiality Condemned
- Diligence Required
- Dangerously Deceiving
- Something Desperately Needed
- Trouble in the Forecast
Let’s Get Real! (18)
Sunday, May 06, 2018
If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless. Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
Take-Away / Application
There are stark differences between a religion that is superficial compared to a religion that is supernatural.
- Do you have a “superficial” religion or a real one? Discuss.
- Have you seen a need that you have not responded to? (Feeding the hungry, clothing those without, etc.) What has stopped you?
- As you review your life, have you remained “unspotted” from the World? What changes do you need to make to prevent the World from staining you? James 1:27
- Do you love the World? Are you serving any other masters than Jesus today? Share with the group where you need to make changes in your life to be a servant of Jesus. 1 John 2:15
- How did God speak to you through this message?
- Pastor preached on the emphasis of bridling the tongue. Why is it so important? Does it include only our speech, or could it include our interactions on social media, etc.? Discuss.
- One aspect of supernatural religion is that it is marked by compassion. Do you have natural compassion for others? If not, what or who should you pursue first rather than works? Read James 2:14–26.
- Read Matthew 25:31–46. We are called to “visit” those in need…examine your life and think of what opportunities exist around you to help others.