In This Series
- Need To Know
- Forecast: 2017, Part 1
- Forecast: 2017, Part 2
- Forecast: 2017, Part 3
- Setbacks and Failures
- What Must I Do To Be Saved?
- Communion Service
- What Crucified the Lord Jesus?
- Philippians 2:1–11
- Your Best Route
- Out of the Pew: Developing Authentic Friendships
- Out of the Pew: Into a Group
- What If?
- What Difference Does It Make?
- Unique Love
- The Value of Time Alone
- How Ya Livin’?
- Of First Importance
- Welcoming Pilira Chibwana
- A Story Of Two Sons
- Everybody Wants to Change the World, but…
- Welcoming Tom Thompson of The Refuge
- It’s AMAZING!
- The Race of Your Life
- It Will Consume You
- It Will Paralyze You
- Can God Use You?
- Present, Prominent or Preeminent
- Search and Rescue
- Why Baptism?
- When’s the Last Time?
- Here’s the Evidence! Now, what will YOU do with it?
- NOW & LATER
- What About When You’ve Blown It?
- Ten Principles I’ve Lived By as a Parent
- The Mission
Stand-Alone Sermons (41)
Sunday, May 26, 2019
NOW & LATER
We’ve all been there… a moment, a decision, a desire that has the potential to put potential future good in jeopardy.
What do we do when we face situations like these? How do we live day to day but keep our eyes on the big picture? How would God have us proceed? How can God help us, prepare us and protect us?
This message takes a look at an individual from the Old Testament who we can learn from and make sure our momentary pleasures don’t ruin lifelong blessings.Fill-in Notes
Take Away / Application
Don’t trade away God’s life-long gift(s) in order to satisfy a short-term appetite.
- Fill up and be nourished on God’s Word.
- Be in the now, but set your eyes on later.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as the discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- When it comes to life’s decisions, how much or little do you involve God?
- Share a time in your life when you have experienced “Esau syndrome.” If you can think of a specific instance, can you speak to what plan, purpose, or promise of God that you traded for momentary pleasure?
- Read Genesis 25:29–34. If there’s one thing that would be your “red stew”, what is it? (money, control, power, partying, being a people pleaser, etc.) Take time with your group to look up Scripture and see what God has to say about this area.
- What does it mean to you to be filled up and nourished on God’s Word? Do you walk into your day filled up?
- Read Colossians 3:1–2. Practically, how do we live in the now, but set our eyes on later?
- Read 1 John 2:15–17. What does it look like to be in the world but not of it?
- We’re always filling up with something. Are you reading God’s Word daily? If the answer to the question is no, what is keeping you from doing so?
- Challenge: Read and memorize 1 Corinthians 10:13. If you are someone that struggles with giving in to the “now” moments, know that God will provide a way of escape. By memorizing this verse, you will have a weapon that you can use when you are hit with temptation in those moments.