Sunday, December 27, 2020
Look Back and Learn
There are times when the circumstances of life catch us by surprise, seem overwhelming, and appear endless. God will not only use these difficult seasons, but He will guide us through them. As we close out a year that has felt like a great and terrible wilderness, what does God want us to learn? What does He want us to do as we move into a new year? To find the answers we’ll turn to the book of Deuteronomy to see how God instructed His people, who were literally in the wilderness, and how it applies to us today.Fill-in Notes
Take Away / Application
God will use the circumstances of life to humble, test, and focus us. It’s always for our good and in the process, we must stay on mission, be the church, and glorify God.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- Read John 16:33. What does Jesus say His disciples will face in this world? Read Deuteronomy 8:2. How have you seen God lead you through difficult seasons in your life? Share.
- Read Hebrews 13:5–6, Matthew 28:20, and Deuteronomy 31:6. Although difficulties come, what does God promise? What confidence can you take from these verses when trials come?
- From today’s message, we learned that regardless of our circumstances, we must listen to, remember, and obey God. Have the circumstances of this year negatively impacted any of these areas in your life?
- Read 1 Peter 5:5–6. How have you seen God humble you this year?
- “Sometimes, we don’t know that all we need is God, until we’re brought to a place where all we have is God.” Discuss.
- “God’s work of humbling is not fully accomplished just by bringing us into a humble place. But it is where our heart is while we are in that humble place that God is really concerned about.” Does God have all of your heart during this difficult season?
- During difficult circumstances, we are to stay on mission, be the church, and glorify God. Have you allowed anything this year to distract you from these challenges? How can you continue to live these out in light of all that we face today?
- What impacted you most from this message?
- Hearing from God comes from spending time with Him through the Word. How was your time in the Bible this week? How is it impacting your daily life?
- How is your prayer life? Are you spending quality time in prayer with the Lord?
Questions about following Jesus?
Want to know how simple it is to have a relationship with Jesus? Interested in talking with someone about Jesus? Let us know below.