In This Series
- Need To Know
- Forecast: 2017, Part 1
- Forecast: 2017, Part 2
- Forecast: 2017, Part 3
- Setbacks and Failures
- What Must I Do To Be Saved?
- Communion Service
- What Crucified the Lord Jesus?
- Philippians 2:1–11
- Your Best Route
- Out of the Pew: Developing Authentic Friendships
- Out of the Pew: Into a Group
- What If?
- What Difference Does It Make?
- Unique Love
- The Value of Time Alone
- How Ya Livin’?
- Of First Importance
- Welcoming Pilira Chibwana
- A Story Of Two Sons
- Everybody Wants to Change the World, but…
- Welcoming Tom Thompson of The Refuge
- It’s AMAZING!
- The Race of Your Life
- It Will Consume You
- It Will Paralyze You
- Can God Use You?
- Present, Prominent or Preeminent
- Search and Rescue
- Why Baptism?
- When’s the Last Time?
- Here’s the Evidence! Now, what will YOU do with it?
- NOW & LATER
- What About When You’ve Blown It?
Stand-Alone Sermons (39)
Sunday, January 13, 2019
It Will Consume You
Bitterness! It’s been around for thousands of years. It’s consuming, it’s silent, it will corrupt the heart and destroy relationships. It’s defined by anger and disappointment at being treated unfairly. It’s synonymous with resentment and envy. Why do we become bitter? What’s God’s antidote to bitterness? From one verse in Hebrews, we begin to see the destructive truth of bitterness and how to overcome it.Fill-in Notes
…looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled;
Take Away / Application
- You can be full of bitterness and empty of Jesus or full of Jesus and empty of bitterness.
- To remove and overcome bitterness we must go back to the cross.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as the discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- Why do you think people choose to hold onto bitterness? Is there a root cause?
- We know bitterness affects us in multiple ways including spiritually. What’s the relationship between bitterness and sin?
- Have you seen bitterness around you or inside you? In what ways does bitterness enslave someone?
- Pastor suggests three ways to remedy bitterness: Forget the problem, Forgive the person, and Forsake the practice. How does a relentless pursuit of God help us apply these remedies?
- As a Christian, how can we talk to a fellow Christian who is struggling with bitterness? What about a non-Christian?
- Today, are you struggling with bitterness of any kind? If you are, what is the negative impact it’s having on your life? Go back to the cross…briefly share with your group, about the moment you got saved? How can a fresh remembrance of the day you got saved help with any bitterness in your life?
In your personal prayer time this week, is there someone you need to forgive? Is there something you need to forget? Is there something you need to forsake? Bring it to God and lay your troubles at the foot of the cross. There is victory and healing in Jesus.