In This Series
- Leaving a Legacy
- When the Romance Fades
- Navigating the Teenage Years
- Children are Wet Cement
- The Dangers of the Digital World
- How to Affair-Proof Your Marriage
- Let’s Consult the Architect
Family Advisory: Explicit Instructions (7)
Sunday, October 08, 2017
How to Affair-Proof Your Marriage
Matthew 5:28–27. Psalm 119:9; 127–128. Malachi 2:15b
Take Away / Application
- No marriage is immune to an affair.
- Apply the seven keys to affair proofing your marriage as laid out in the message notes.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your Group or branch off with additional questions as discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have your group members figure things out together.
- How did this message most impact you today? Share. Which one of the seven keys to affair proofing your marriage stuck out to you the most? Why do you think that is?
- Read Psalm 119:9, 127-128. Describe the relationship between loving God and God’s Word, and staying pure in your marriage? How has this principle impacted your own marriage? What can you do further adopt this kind of heart in your life?
- The 5 needs of husbands and wives. Are these true in your own marriage? If so, how have these differences been a challenge to work through? How have they helped in knowing how to better serve your spouse?
- Is it possible to affair proof you marriage as a single? Explain? If you’re currently a single what does this look like in your life? If your married, what did it look like in your life? Share good and bad.
- Pastor Harrell mentioned that media glamorizes immorality and it will warp our perception. With that in mind, list the las 5 movies and or TV shows that you have watched. Do they pass the test of, “Does this honor God?”
- When it comes to managing your mind, discuss the difference between a thought and thinking? What are some ways that you can apply 2 Corinthians 10:5 to your own life? What safeguards / guardrails do you or should you have in place to protect yourself from getting into a compromising situation?
- In Matthew 5:29–30, Jesus states that if your eye or hand causes you to sin to cut them out or off. Are you prepared to take drastic measures to ensure that you’re following God’s standard of morality? (In the non-physical sense this could mean: canceling cable, password protecting devices connected to the internet, change patterns at work, etc.)
- The cost of maintaining marriage is high, but worth it. What are one of two areas in your marriage that need to be focused on.
- In the same respect, if unmarried, the cost of preparing for marriage is high, but worth it. What are one or two areas you need to focus on in preparing to become a godly husband or wife.