Sunday, July 18, 2021
How Bright Will We Shine?
We consume every day… binging on shows, listening to podcast after podcast, apps on our phones, endless videos, never-ending social media posts. We are constantly filling up with things.
And what we fill up with matters; it affects us. What we consume impacts every area of our lives.
With so much to choose from, what’s the best thing to fill up with?
Over this two-part series, we’ll answer these questions and more. The result can lead to abundant life as individuals and as a church!Fill-in Notes
Take Away / Application
It’s not if I shine bright for Jesus, but how bright will I shine for Jesus?
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group, or branch off with additional questions as discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- Share some of what the Holy Spirit led you to write in your notes.
- How has your perspective or understanding of “what we consume matters” changed over the last two weeks?
- With a better understanding of our enemy and “the world”, are there things you’re involved with pushing you away from Jesus instead of drawing you closer?
- Read Matthew 5:14–16. What “things” act as a bushel or basket that hides the light in our lives? What is God calling us to do to lift the bushel and allow the light to shine?
- Read Matthew 10:22 and 1 Peter 4:12–14. Pastor Cory mentioned that this world is darker than ever before. Bible-believing, evangelical Christians are being rejected more than any other world religion. Why do you think that is? Have you have experienced being “reproached” for following Jesus?
- How does persecution or being reproached give evidence to God’s presence in our life?
- How do we juggle/demonstrate both grace and truth to the world around us?
- Read Revelation 1:12–18. How do these verses encourage you in being a light for Jesus? Are you filling up with fresh fuel from this Jesus?
- There’s a difference between filling up with things about God’s Word versus filling up with the Word of God. How have you grown from your time in the Bible this week?
- How is your prayer life? Are you spending quality time in prayer with the Lord?
- What personal actions did God lay on your heart after this series?
Questions about following Jesus?
Want to know how simple it is to have a relationship with Jesus? Interested in talking with someone about Jesus? Let us know below.