In This Series
- Nothing but the Blood
- God’s Plan… Fulfilled
- Spending Time with God
- Clarifying the Confusion
- Our Good… His Glory
- When Life Makes No Sense
- Satan’s M.O.
- One Thing You CAN Control
- Three Questions You’ve Got to Get Right
- Responding to God’s Call
- The Journey
- It All Comes Down to This
- It Is Required…
- Are You Going After It?
- Trained By Grace
- What God Wants from You, Dad
- Is Good Good Enough?
- WHEN Adversity Comes
- Your Life… After Death
- When Adversity Meets God
- Unshakable Character
- The Battle That Rages
- “All Things” Means “All Things”
- Why There Had to be a Cross
- The Power of One
- A Question That Begs To Be Answered
- Your Greatest Encourager
- Alert and Aware
- 2020: How will you live it out?
- 2020: How will you approach God’s Word?
- Welcoming Tom Thompson of The Refuge
- Everybody Wants to Change the World, but…
- Welcoming Pilira Chibwana
Stand-Alone Sermons (35)
Sunday, January 17, 2021
The Apostle Paul compared the Christian life to a race, and he knew that just as a race has a beginning and an end, so does this life here on earth that we live for Jesus. And every day we wake up puts us one day closer to the finish line. But the thing Paul wanted us to grasp is not when… it’s how we “Finish!”Fill-in Notes
Take Away / Application
It’s not when you cross the finish line, but how you cross the finish line.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- Read Galatians 2:20 and Matthew 16:24–26. For a Christian, what is the difference between “tagging” Jesus onto your life and Jesus “being” your life?
- Read Hebrews 9:27 and 2 Corinthians 5:8. You will finish the race of life… Does the life you live day-to-day reflect how you want to finish your life knowing you will give an account to Jesus? Discuss and share.
- Read Philippians 3:14 and 2 Timothy 4:7. Like the Apostle Paul, do you see life as a marathon? When it comes to the race of life, why is keeping the long view important?
- Read Ephesians 6:12 and Galatians 5:17. Do you see life as a spiritual battle? Why is understanding this important for a Christian?
- Read Hebrews 12:1. Pastor Harrell mentioned possessions, position, and pleasure as distractions that can “derail” your race. What typically distracts you from your relationship with Jesus? Is there anything distracting you currently? (It may not be one of the three things mentioned, e.g. Social Media, News, Politics, Social Issues, etc.)
- Read Philippians 3:13–14. Why should a Christian not hold onto things in the past? As a Christian, how does holding onto things in our past become a hindrance to moving forward?
- What are practical ways to get your heart fixed on the coming joy of eternity with Jesus?
- How are you investing your time and talents in something that will last for eternity? Is there somewhere you should be serving at church, investing in someone, leading somewhere, etc.?
- Read Matthew 4:4 and Romans 12:1–2. How are you feeding your inner self? What have you learned from your personal time in the Bible this week? How is it impacting your daily life?
- How is your prayer life? Are you spending quality time in prayer with the Lord?
Questions about following Jesus?
Want to know how simple it is to have a relationship with Jesus? Interested in talking with someone about Jesus? Let us know below.