In This Series
- Need To Know
- Forecast: 2017, Part 1
- Forecast: 2017, Part 2
- Forecast: 2017, Part 3
- Setbacks and Failures
- What Must I Do To Be Saved?
- Communion Service
- What Crucified the Lord Jesus?
- Philippians 2:1–11
- Your Best Route
- Out of the Pew: Developing Authentic Friendships
- Out of the Pew: Into a Group
- What If?
- What Difference Does It Make?
- Unique Love
- The Value of Time Alone
- How Ya Livin’?
- Of First Importance
- Welcoming Pilira Chibwana
- A Story Of Two Sons
- Everybody Wants to Change the World, but…
- Welcoming Tom Thompson of The Refuge
- It’s AMAZING!
- The Race of Your Life
- It Will Consume You
- It Will Paralyze You
- Can God Use You?
- Present, Prominent or Preeminent
- Search and Rescue
- Why Baptism?
- When’s the Last Time?
- Here’s the Evidence! Now, what will YOU do with it?
- NOW & LATER
- What About When You’ve Blown It?
- Ten Principles I’ve Lived By as a Parent
- The Mission
Stand-Alone Sermons (43)
Sunday, September 08, 2019
There’s so much that calls for our attention today. From money to career, to material things, we can put our trust and confidence in anything and everything. However, will those things last and do they truly establish us? When we look at our lives, what establishes you? The apostle Paul, in Romans 16:25, points us to that which is truly established.
Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began but now made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith—to God, alone wise, be glory through Jesus Christ forever. Amen.
Take Away / Application
We want to establish ourselves in something that is rooted, trustworthy, and permanent, and then have what we’re established in, establish us! God is the only one that meets these criteria.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as the discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- What things, other than God, do people try to establish themselves in or with? What things do you tend to put your confidence in instead of God?
- Pastor Cory posed the question “What or who establishes you?” Share. With that question in mind, what evidence is there in your life to support your answer? What would your coworkers, friends, or spouse say you are established in?
- Read Matthew 14:25–32. Why did Peter start to sink and what kept him from doing so? What causes us to sink? Like Peter, what keeps us from sinking?
- We heard a few examples (1 Peter, 2 Thessalonians, etc.) of God establishing us, but they had a similar underlying theme of God as our foundation, strength, and comfort through trials. How can we prepare ourselves now for upcoming storms? Is our goal to survive the storm or to flourish through it?
- As Christians, we believe and understand that God is established, does not move, and He does not change. With that in mind, how do you answer someone who says the Bible and God are no longer relevant?
- Think about a time when you felt restless, unsettled, and not established. How was your relationship with God during that time?
- Read 1 Peter 5:6–10. How has God strengthened you to overcome the devil?
- Read 1 Corinthians 3:7. How has God grown you over the last year?
- Pastor Cory challenged us to allow God’s Word to be our foundation, and even said if it’s not, then that may be the cause for our “wobbly table” in life. Read Colossians 3:2–3. How can an eternal outlook on life help us remain stable in an unstable world?
- Honestly ask yourself, “How has my time in The Word and my prayer life been?” What changes do you need to make today?