In This Series
- Trouble in the Forecast
- Something Desperately Needed
- Dangerously Deceiving
- Diligence Required
- Superficiality Condemned
- A Word of Caution
- Clearing Up the Confusion
- It’s So Very Dangerous
- What Do You Want The Most?
- Misdirected Passion
- Spiritual Adultery!
- A Fresh Stirring
- Practical Atheism
- Derailing Your Purpose in Life
- Perhaps Today!
- What Do You Do?
- Utmost Importance
- Our Common Ministry
Let’s Get Real! (18)
Sunday, April 29, 2018
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures. So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God. Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.
Take Away / Application
A new life in Christ is demonstrated by:
- Being quick to listen, slow to speak and having a spiritual temper.
- Receiving God’s word and doing what it says.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as the discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- Discuss the first Introductory Statement, “God does not change.” Do you agree with that statement? Read James 1:17, Malachi 3:6a, Hebrews 13:8.
- Share about a good gift God has given you? Do you view God as a Heavenly Father that desires to bless? If not, how do you view Him? Read Matthew 7:11.
- Does your life demonstrate a quick ear, slow tongue and spiritual temper? What area needs the most improvement? How can your Group help?
- Social media is a powerful platform that reaches hundreds, if not thousands of people. How do we abuse social media when it comes to being slow to speak? Do you struggle in this area?
- Read Proverbs 18:13. Do you jump ahead and respond before hearing your spouse/Kids/coworkers complete their sentences?
- What is one way you can improve your listening skills?
- How do you need to apply having a spiritual temper in your life? Read Ephesians 4:26–29
- Pastor mentioned the importance of approaching the word of God with a clean heart. What weeds in your life should be removed in order to allow the seed of the Word of God to take root?
- What is your attitude toward God’s Word? Is it a paper-holder, roadmap, suggestion, pick and choose, etc.?
- What “leftover” sins and struggles are still hanging around from your old life? How can your Group help?