In This Series
- Need To Know
- Forecast: 2017, Part 1
- Forecast: 2017, Part 2
- Forecast: 2017, Part 3
- Setbacks and Failures
- What Must I Do To Be Saved?
- Communion Service
- What Crucified the Lord Jesus?
- Philippians 2:1–11
- Your Best Route
- Out of the Pew: Developing Authentic Friendships
- Out of the Pew: Into a Group
- What If?
- What Difference Does It Make?
- Unique Love
- The Value of Time Alone
- How Ya Livin’?
- Of First Importance
- Welcoming Pilira Chibwana
- A Story Of Two Sons
- Everybody Wants to Change the World, but…
- Welcoming Tom Thompson of The Refuge
- It’s AMAZING!
- The Race of Your Life
- It Will Consume You
- It Will Paralyze You
- Can God Use You?
- Present, Prominent or Preeminent
- Search and Rescue
- Why Baptism?
- When’s the Last Time?
- Here’s the Evidence! Now, what will YOU do with it?
- NOW & LATER
- What About When You’ve Blown It?
- Ten Principles I’ve Lived By as a Parent
- The Mission
Stand-Alone Sermons (41)
Sunday, November 25, 2018
Everybody Wants to Change the World, but…
All of us face temptations. Whether the first time or over and over again, temptation is a part of everyday life. What tempts you the most? What is temptation? Where does it come from? What can it lead to? How do we deal with temptation? What impact does it have in our lives and our ability to change the world?
No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
Take Away / Application
In dealing with temptation, above all else, we need to turn to Jesus and the Word of God.
We need to deal with temptation…
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as the discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
Share with your group what food or dessert tempts you the most. Share with your group how you want to or wanted to change the world.
- Is temptation sin? How would we talk with someone who thinks temptation is the same as sin? For help, read James 1:13–15, Matthew 4:1–11, Hebrews 4:15.
- What are the two sources of temptation? How can you tell the difference?
- Have you ever tried to accomplish a good thing in a bad way? Share.
- “Desires must be our servants, not our masters.” What personal struggles do you encounter with this statement? (Material things, acceptance, accomplishments, status, etc.)
- Read 1 Corinthians 10:13. Have you ever felt like you’re the only one who faces the temptations you deal with? Share. Are you truly alone in the temptations you face?
- Share about a time God has provided a way out and you took it. Share about a time you didn’t follow God’s way of escape. How does it change your approach to temptation knowing that God ALWAYS provides a way out?
- In dealing with temptation, where do you typically turn? Are Jesus and the Word of God your first step?
- In dealing with temptation immediately, practically, ruthlessly and consistently, which area is easiest for you? Which area is most difficult?
- Confide in one trusted group member where you need help in overcoming temptation this week. Allow them to pray for you and keep you accountable.