In This Series
- Are You Going After It?
- Trained By Grace
- What God Wants from You, Dad
- Is Good Good Enough?
- WHEN Adversity Comes
- Your Life… After Death
- When Adversity Meets God
- Unshakable Character
- The Battle That Rages
- “All Things” Means “All Things”
- Why There Had to be a Cross
- The Power of One
- A Question That Begs To Be Answered
- Your Greatest Encourager
- Alert and Aware
- 2020: How will you live it out?
- 2020: How will you approach God’s Word?
- Welcoming Tom Thompson of The Refuge
- Everybody Wants to Change the World, but…
- Welcoming Pilira Chibwana
Stand-Alone Sermons (20)
Sunday, November 25, 2018
Everybody Wants to Change the World, but…
All of us face temptations. Whether the first time or over and over again, temptation is a part of everyday life. What tempts you the most? What is temptation? Where does it come from? What can it lead to? How do we deal with temptation? What impact does it have in our lives and our ability to change the world?
No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
Take Away / Application
In dealing with temptation, above all else, we need to turn to Jesus and the Word of God.
We need to deal with temptation…
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as the discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
Share with your group what food or dessert tempts you the most. Share with your group how you want to or wanted to change the world.
- Is temptation sin? How would we talk with someone who thinks temptation is the same as sin? For help, read James 1:13–15, Matthew 4:1–11, Hebrews 4:15.
- What are the two sources of temptation? How can you tell the difference?
- Have you ever tried to accomplish a good thing in a bad way? Share.
- “Desires must be our servants, not our masters.” What personal struggles do you encounter with this statement? (Material things, acceptance, accomplishments, status, etc.)
- Read 1 Corinthians 10:13. Have you ever felt like you’re the only one who faces the temptations you deal with? Share. Are you truly alone in the temptations you face?
- Share about a time God has provided a way out and you took it. Share about a time you didn’t follow God’s way of escape. How does it change your approach to temptation knowing that God ALWAYS provides a way out?
- In dealing with temptation, where do you typically turn? Are Jesus and the Word of God your first step?
- In dealing with temptation immediately, practically, ruthlessly and consistently, which area is easiest for you? Which area is most difficult?
- Confide in one trusted group member where you need help in overcoming temptation this week. Allow them to pray for you and keep you accountable.