In This Series
- Need To Know
- Forecast: 2017, Part 1
- Forecast: 2017, Part 2
- Forecast: 2017, Part 3
- Setbacks and Failures
- What Must I Do To Be Saved?
- Communion Service
- What Crucified the Lord Jesus?
- Philippians 2:1–11
- Your Best Route
- Out of the Pew: Developing Authentic Friendships
- Out of the Pew: Into a Group
- What If?
- What Difference Does It Make?
- Unique Love
- The Value of Time Alone
- How Ya Livin’?
- Of First Importance
- Welcoming Pilira Chibwana
- A Story Of Two Sons
- Everybody Wants to Change the World, but…
- Welcoming Tom Thompson of The Refuge
- It’s AMAZING!
- The Race of Your Life
- It Will Consume You
- It Will Paralyze You
- Can God Use You?
- Present, Prominent or Preeminent
- Search and Rescue
- Why Baptism?
- When’s the Last Time?
- Here’s the Evidence! Now, what will YOU do with it?
- NOW & LATER
- What About When You’ve Blown It?
- Ten Principles I’ve Lived By as a Parent
- The Mission
Stand-Alone Sermons (41)
Sunday, October 07, 2018
A Story Of Two Sons
Director of Assimilation
The story of the prodigal son is one of the most well-known parables in all of the Bible. This fresh look at a familiar story challenges us to examine ourselves and see the similarities in our lives to the rebel son and the religious son. It also points to a perfect Heavenly Father who patiently pursues us and meets us right where we are.
Take Away / Application
- Makes sure you’re not so busy doing stuff for God that you miss spending time with God.
- You can be in the Scriptures yet still not have the Scriptures in you.
- God patiently pursues desiring to seek and save.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as the discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- Read Luke 15:11–31.
- Do you think the rebel intended to destroy his life and lose it all?
- Has there been a time in your life where you’ve strayed from Jesus? If comfortable, please share.
- Have you experienced Jesus running to you when you least deserved it and least expected it but most needed it?
- When was the last time you fell at the feet of Jesus to give thanks…to say thank you!?
- Do you think the religious son intended to grow cold and calloused?
- Have you ever struggled with being religious/rigid in your walk with Jesus?
- What is your motive to knowing/studying Scripture, to know more or be more like the Savior?!
- Do you relate more to the religious son or the rebel son?
- Do you know more about Jesus than truly knowing Jesus, having a relationship with Him?
- Maybe you surrendered your life to Jesus years ago, but instead of living for Him out of love, does your life now consists of rigid religious rules and checking spiritual boxes?
- Have you lost the fire/love/joy you once had in Jesus? How can your group help?