In This Series
- Our Common Ministry
- Utmost Importance
- What Do You Do?
- Perhaps Today!
- Derailing Your Purpose in Life
- Practical Atheism
- A Fresh Stirring
- Spiritual Adultery!
- Misdirected Passion
- What Do You Want The Most?
- It’s So Very Dangerous
- Clearing Up the Confusion
- A Word of Caution
- Superficiality Condemned
- Diligence Required
- Dangerously Deceiving
- Something Desperately Needed
- Trouble in the Forecast
Let’s Get Real! (18)
Sunday, July 22, 2018
A Fresh Stirring
Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.
Take Away / Application
A heart that is submissive, pure and dependent on God, is a life that draws near to God.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as the discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- How do you view the word “submit?” (Positive, negative, restrictive, freeing, etc.?)
- Submitting in God’s economy is a good thing. What factors have or can negatively impact our view of submitting? How can the refusal to submit reveal pride in our life?
- How does humility produce right attitudes and motives?
- What is sin? Is it a mistake, accident, error or something more?
- Read James 4:7 and Romans 12:1. How is your relationship with God in light of these verses? What obstacles get in the way of growing your personal relationship with Jesus? As you look at your life today, would you say that you are “cheating” on Jesus? Why or why not?
- When we draw near to God, the devil is pushed further away; if we draw near to the world, then God is pushed further away. How has this been so in your life? What does it mean to you, to draw near to God?
- Are you as close to Jesus as you used to be or desire to be? What changed or needs to change? How can your group help?
- How can the fact that God will lift us up beyond our desires and plans, to a much greater plan and purpose, give you the confidence and passion to submit to and pursue Him more?
- What does it look like to flee the world’s influence while being the influencers of it? How can the truth and application of today’s message move you to impact and reach others?