In This Series
- Need To Know
- Forecast: 2017, Part 1
- Forecast: 2017, Part 2
- Forecast: 2017, Part 3
- Setbacks and Failures
- What Must I Do To Be Saved?
- Communion Service
- What Crucified the Lord Jesus?
- Philippians 2:1–11
- Your Best Route
- Out of the Pew: Developing Authentic Friendships
- Out of the Pew: Into a Group
- What If?
- What Difference Does It Make?
- Unique Love
- The Value of Time Alone
- How Ya Livin’?
- Of First Importance
- Welcoming Pilira Chibwana
- A Story Of Two Sons
- Everybody Wants to Change the World, but…
- Welcoming Tom Thompson of The Refuge
- It’s AMAZING!
- The Race of Your Life
- It Will Consume You
- It Will Paralyze You
- Can God Use You?
- Present, Prominent or Preeminent
- Search and Rescue
- Why Baptism?
- When’s the Last Time?
- Here’s the Evidence! Now, what will YOU do with it?
- NOW & LATER
- What About When You’ve Blown It?
- Ten Principles I’ve Lived By as a Parent
- The Mission
- The Best Gift
- 2020: How will you pray?
- 2020: How will you approach God’s Word?
- 2020: How will you live it out?
Stand-Alone Sermons (47)
Sunday, January 05, 2020
2020: How will you approach God’s Word?
Whether spring training in baseball or training camp in football, the most elite athletes return to the basics before embarking on their season. With a new year ahead, many reset, refocus and recalibrate their lives for the year ahead. And just like athletes, the Christian life is centered on the basics. However, too many times we neglect the simplest of things.
What are the basics and how do we become excellent at them? God’s Word gives us simple instructions in becoming brilliant at the basics.
Take Away / Application
- Be brilliant at the basics…
- Time in prayer
- Time in God’s Word
- When it comes to God’s Word, “hear” it and “keep” it.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as the discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- What was your biggest accomplishment of 2019? What is one thing you’d like to improve on in 2020?
- Currently, what does your prayer time look like? (i.e. Do you pray in the morning, at night, throughout the day, struggle with prayer, etc.)
- Would you say prayer is a priority to your daily life? Why or why not? If not, what would it take to make prayer a daily priority? How can your group help?
- What was your biggest take away from Pastor Harrell’s message on the prayer of Jabez?
- Read Philippians 4:6–7. What do you learn about prayer from these verses?
- What would it look like for you to keep an open conversation with God going all day long?
- Currently, what does your time in God’s Word look like? (i.e. Do you read in the morning, at night, throughout the day, use a devotional, journal, take 5 minutes, take 30 minutes, etc.)
- Would you say reading your Bible is a priority to your daily life? Why or why not? If not, what would it take to make reading the Bible a daily priority? How can your group help?
- Jesus says we need to “hear” the Word of God. That’s listening with the intent to do and change based on whatever God’s Word says. Do you approach your time in the Bible this way? Why or why not? What happens when you run into Scripture that you disagree with, do you still “hear” it?
- Jesus also says we’re to “keep” God’s Word. What circumstances and situations do you find it easiest to keep God’s Word? What circumstances and situations are the hardest?