In This Series
- America…Have We Forgotten?
- What Defines a Great Church?
- The Three Chairs
- THE, Part 2
- THE, Part 1
- HE ROSE...YOU CHOSE!
- When Life Doesn’t Make Sense
- Nothing but the Blood
- God’s Plan… Fulfilled
- Spending Time with God
- Clarifying the Confusion
- Our Good… His Glory
- When Life Makes No Sense
- Satan’s M.O.
- One Thing You CAN Control
- Three Questions You’ve Got to Get Right
- Responding to God’s Call
- The Journey
- It All Comes Down to This
- It Is Required…
- Are You Going After It?
- Trained By Grace
- What God Wants from You, Dad
- Is Good Good Enough?
- WHEN Adversity Comes
- Your Life… After Death
- When Adversity Meets God
- Unshakable Character
- The Battle That Rages
- “All Things” Means “All Things”
- Why There Had to be a Cross
- The Power of One
- A Question That Begs To Be Answered
- Your Greatest Encourager
- Alert and Aware
- 2020: How will you live it out?
- 2020: How will you approach God’s Word?
- Welcoming Tom Thompson of The Refuge
- Everybody Wants to Change the World, but…
- Welcoming Pilira Chibwana
Stand-Alone Sermons (40)
Sunday, January 05, 2020
2020: How will you approach God’s Word?
Whether spring training in baseball or training camp in football, the most elite athletes return to the basics before embarking on their season. With a new year ahead, many reset, refocus and recalibrate their lives for the year ahead. And just like athletes, the Christian life is centered on the basics. However, too many times we neglect the simplest of things.
What are the basics and how do we become excellent at them? God’s Word gives us simple instructions in becoming brilliant at the basics.
Take Away / Application
- Be brilliant at the basics…
- Time in prayer
- Time in God’s Word
- When it comes to God’s Word, “hear” it and “keep” it.
Don’t be afraid to add to this list, skip questions that don’t work for your group or branch off with additional questions as the discussion unfolds. Conversation is key! This is the time to work through the application of scripture and have group members figure things out together.
- What was your biggest accomplishment of 2019? What is one thing you’d like to improve on in 2020?
- Currently, what does your prayer time look like? (i.e. Do you pray in the morning, at night, throughout the day, struggle with prayer, etc.)
- Would you say prayer is a priority to your daily life? Why or why not? If not, what would it take to make prayer a daily priority? How can your group help?
- What was your biggest take away from Pastor Harrell’s message on the prayer of Jabez?
- Read Philippians 4:6–7. What do you learn about prayer from these verses?
- What would it look like for you to keep an open conversation with God going all day long?
- Currently, what does your time in God’s Word look like? (i.e. Do you read in the morning, at night, throughout the day, use a devotional, journal, take 5 minutes, take 30 minutes, etc.)
- Would you say reading your Bible is a priority to your daily life? Why or why not? If not, what would it take to make reading the Bible a daily priority? How can your group help?
- Jesus says we need to “hear” the Word of God. That’s listening with the intent to do and change based on whatever God’s Word says. Do you approach your time in the Bible this way? Why or why not? What happens when you run into Scripture that you disagree with, do you still “hear” it?
- Jesus also says we’re to “keep” God’s Word. What circumstances and situations do you find it easiest to keep God’s Word? What circumstances and situations are the hardest?